Though you may not be able have your record expunged in New York, having your record sealed can offer the possibility of getting a new job or being able to live in a desired area. Many view having their record sealed as a new start on life. Continue reading to have your questions answered about the options you have with your criminal record in New York. Learn more about how our firm can help you by contacting us today.
Can I have my record expunged in New York?
Criminal records are not able to be expunged in New York. However, you may be able to have your record sealed which allows you to make your record private to the public. The difference between expunging and sealing a criminal record is that the sealed record still exists for certain law enforcement agencies’ access while expunging deletes all records of the criminal charge or arrest.
How does the record sealing process work?
There are a few steps in the record sealing process. The first step is to find the best attorney for you with specific experience in sealing criminal records.
- Your attorney will first file a motion in court.
- You will meet and speak with the county clerk who filed and prosecuted you.
- Your attorney will assist you with filling out the petition to seal records form.
- If this form is challenged, you will present evidence in a courtroom with the assistance of your attorney.
- If it is approved, your record is successfully sealed, making your record private to the public
What crimes are eligible for being sealed in New York?
It is important to know the crimes that have the opportunity to be sealed in New York. The following crimes may be sealed with the help of an experienced New York criminal attorney:
- Certain marijuana-related crimes
- Charges with no conviction
- Non-criminal violations
- Certain juvenile crimes
- Certain felonies and misdemeanors
- Under the circumstances that you entered an alcohol or drug treatment program that was mandated by the court, have satisfied any sentences or request mandated after you’ve completed treatment, and have no additional pending charges
Now that you understand how to qualify for record sealing and the steps involved in sealing a record, do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced attorney today to give yourself a new lease on life.
Contact our experienced Rockland County firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.