Rockland County DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
Carl Spector received his legal education at New York Law School and earned his Juris Doctorate from Nova Southeastern University in Florida in 1986. Carl graduated from The State University of New York at Buffalo (UB) where he received his bachelor’s degree in Communication three years earlier.
Attorney Carl Spector is licensed to practice in New York, New Jersey and Florida (inactive), the United States District Court Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, and the District Court of New Jersey.
Carl Spector started his legal career as a prosecutor (attorney) appointed as an Assistant District Attorney (ADA) in the Bronx County, New York District Attorney’s office. Carl Spector served as a prosecutor for six years. During his tenure, Carl worked in the Criminal Court Bureau, Felony Evaluation Unit and then promoted to the Narcotics Bureau during the height of the “crack” epidemic. Mr. Spector was selected by his superiors to be the “lead” prosecutor in a high-profile homicide trial. This experience taught and molded Carl to become an aggressive, and effective advocate in and out of the courtroom.
For the past 27 years, Carl Spector has represented thousands of people in court that have been charged with crimes throughout New Jersey and New York, including Bergen County, Essex County, Hudson County, Passaic County, Morris County, Sussex County and Union County. Carl Spector has served as an attorney in countless criminal and DWI / DUI matters with full control of trial planning and strategies, drafting and filing pre-trial motions, discovery review, legal research, courtroom appearances, pre-trial hearings as well as jury and bench trials.
Carl Spector has successfully litigated and argued many pre-trial motions to suppress evidence based on the lack of probable cause due to unlawful stops and searches by police as well as violations of the client’s Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment rights.
In 2009, 2010 and 2011 Carl Spector served as the Municipal Prosecutor in the large Bergen County municipality of Fair Lawn, New Jersey.
Carl Spector was appointed by the Mayor and Counsel of Municipality Fair Lawn to serve as the alternate Public Defender in 2012 through and including 2020.
- New Jersey Bar Association
- National College of DUI Defense Member
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation Member
- New York Criminal Bar Association New York State Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- AVVO Clients’ Choice – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Thumbtack Spotlight, 2015
- AVVO Top Contributor – 2015
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Criminal Defense by The National Trial Lawyers
- New Jersey State Bar admitted in 1986
- New York State Bar admitted in 1987
- Florida State Bar admitted in 1990 (inactive)
- United States District Court of New Jersey
- United States District Court, Southern District Court of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District Court of New York
Teaching and Publications
- 16 Hour Bridge-The-Gap
- The Anatomy of a Criminal Law Case
- Litigation Skills for the Legal Staff
- How to Handle a Criminal Case in New York
- Litigation Skills For Legal Staff in New York
- Lorman Education Services publication
- Criminal Cases From Arrest to Trial in New York
- Adjunct Professor Strayer University