There are few things more damaging to a record than being convicted of a drug charge. Unfortunately, New York State cracks down extremely hard on all those facing drug charges, and if you are being charged with a drug crime, you need an experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney on your side. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable firm to learn more about the various drug crimes in New York and how our firm can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the most common drug charges in New York State?
Generally speaking, the most common drug charge that our firm sees is the criminal possession of a controlled substance, which is a Class-A misdemeanor. That being said, these charges are extremely serious, which is why you must hire a seasoned Rockland County criminal defense attorney. Some of the most common drug charges, and the penalties they carry, are as follows:
- Marijuana: Though marijuana has been largely decriminalized in New York, if you are caught in possession of more than two ounces, you risk facing jail time, as well as high fines.
- Cocaine: For the possession of up to 500 milligrams of cocaine, you are most likely looking at a Class A misdemeanor, however, for more than 500 milligrams of cocaine, you will face a Class D felony which can land you in jail for a very long time.
- Heroin: For the possession of 500 mg or less of heroin, you are looking at a Class A misdemeanor. That being said, over 500 mg is a Class D felony, and the more heroin you are caught with, the more severe your sentence will be.
Can I defend myself against a drug charge in New York?
Fortunately, there are various potential defenses to drug charges in New York State, though the defense we use will largely depend on the specifics of your case. Some of the most practical defenses include:
- The arresting officer did not have probably cause
- The arresting officer did not read you your Miranda Rights
- The arresting officer did not perform a lawful traffic stop
- The drugs the arresting officer seized were not yours
Contact our experienced New York firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.