Shoplifting is one of the most commonly committed crimes, however, if you are someone who has been charged with theft in New York State, you face very serious ramifications, potential jail time, and obtaining a criminal record among them. When you obtain a criminal record, you will find it harder to get certain jobs, take out certain loans, and even live in certain areas in the future, long after you’ve served your time behind bars. That is why if you are facing theft charges in New York, you must read on and reach out to our experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney to learn more about the consequences you face and how our firm can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
Will I go to jail if I am caught stealing from a store in New York?
Everybody knows that it is wrong to steal. However, sometimes people steal out of poverty, make a bad judgment call, or are even wrongly accused of stealing. The bottom line is, shoplifting something does not necessarily make you a bad person, however, you will face a very hostile court system if you are caught stealing. Of course, the consequences for stealing largely depend on the dollar amount of the item stolen. The penalties for shoplifting in New York State (according to the value of the item stolen) are as follows:
- Less than $1,000: Petit larceny, Class A misdemeanor, up to $1,000 in fines, up to 1 year in jail.
- Between $1,000 and $3,000: Grand larceny in the fourth degree, Class E felony, up to $5,000 in fines (or double your monetary gain from the theft), up to 4 years in jail.
- Between $3,000 and $50,000: Grand larceny in the third degree, up to 7 years of imprisonment.
- Between $50,000 and $1 million: Grand larceny in the second degree, Class C felony, up to 15 years of incarceration.
- More than $1 million: Grand larceny in the first degree, Class B felony, up to 25 years in prison.
The bottom line is that if you are facing larceny charges in New York State, you absolutely need the assistance of an experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney who can fight those charges on your behalf. For any additional questions, give our firm a call today. We are here to help you through every step of the legal process ahead.
Contact our experienced New York firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.