Check Fraud Attorney in Suffern, NY
Issuing a bad check is taken very seriously in the state of New York. If you have been charged with check fraud, it is important to be aware of the magnitude of the consequences that you may face. The Law Office of Carl Spector has proudly served clients facing check fraud charges throughout Rockland County for over 30 years. With so much of your future at stake, skill, knowledge, and experience matters. To discuss your situation with a legal team you can trust to protect your future, contact The Law Office of Carl Spector today.
Types of Check Fraud in NY
People are charged with check fraud in New York for various reasons. These can span much further than simply writing a check without the funds in your bank account to cover the amount written. A few examples of check fraud in New York include the following:
- Forgery, which involves writing a check out of someone else’s account.
- Counterfeiting, which involves creating a replica of a legitimate check.
- Check washing, or altering checks to wipe the signature and amounts from a real check.
- Paperhanging, or writing checks on accounts that are no longer open.
- Check kiting, which involves having two accounts to float money between.
Depending on the situation, you may also be charged with identity theft. This can come with an additional set of criminal consequences so it is important to have an experienced defense attorney on your side. Contact The Law Office of Carl Spector today. We are here to help.
Defenses Against Check Fraud in NY
If you have been charged with check fraud in the state of New York, it is important to retain the services of an experienced attorney who can effectively defend your future. There are several defenses against check fraud charges that your attorney explore when preparing your case. Some of these defenses are as follows:
- If you can pay the amount that the check was written for within 10 days, you will not be charged with a crime.
- If you wrote the check on behalf of your employer and were not aware that the check was bad, you may not face charges.
- Discrepancies with an elderly person’s funds and their caregiver.
Contact a Rockland County Check Fraud Attorney
If you were charged with check fraud in Rockland County, you must retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Many times, check fraud charges stem from a simple misunderstanding that can be quickly resolved. In other situations, the case is far more serious and you may be facing years of imprisonment and overwhelming fines. With so much of your future at stake, you can count on The Law Office of Carl Spector to effectively explore all possible defenses on your behalf. Our firm has proudly served clients across Rockland County for over 30 years. Contact our firm today to learn more about how we can assist you.