Drug Possession Attorney in Suffern, NY
New York State takes drug possession charges very seriously. A drug charge conviction can drastically affect your future. Upon conviction, you may face years of imprisonment, overwhelming fines, and the permanent burdens of a criminal record. The Law Office of Carl Spector has the skill and experience needed to protect you from an uncertain future. Attorney Spector spent 6 years as a prosecutor in Bronx County, prosecuting thousands of narcotics cases. This experience allowed Attorney Spector to gain a vast knowledge of state laws regarding the possession and sale of narcotics. If you have been charged with a drug crime in New York, you can count on The Law Office of Carl Spector to effectively represent your interests. Contact our office today to learn how we can assist you.
Drug Charges in NY
The most common drug-related charge in New York City is criminal possession of a controlled substance, a Class-A misdemeanor. This charge is usually attributed to the possession of small, personal amounts of cocaine or heroin. A Class-A misdemeanor can carry a sentence of one year in jail. If you have been arrested for a drug crime in New York, the police can issue a desk appearance ticket to appear in front of a judge for an arraignment immediately after your arrest. The penalties of drug possession charges in New York are as follows:
- Marijuana: A first-offense marijuana possession charge of up to 25 grams generally results in a $100 fine. However, possessing any more than 25 grams can result in jail time and overwhelming fines. For example, between 25 grams and 2 ounces can result in up to 3 months in jail and fines of up to $500.
- Cocaine: If you are charged with possessing up to 500 milligrams of cocaine, you can face a Class A misdemeanor. If you have more than 500 milligrams of cocaine in your possession, you can face a Class D felony, and face even more significant penalties.
- Heroin: If you knowingly possess any amount of heroin, you can face a Class A misdemeanor. However, over 500 mg is a Class D felony. Felony charges increase as the amount of heroin in one’s possession increases.
Common Mistakes After a Drug Charge
There are many common mistakes that clients make when they are facing drug charges in NY. These include the following:
- Making unnecessary admissions to the police
- Assuming you can plea bargain and walk away with minimal consequences after a first-time arrest
- Failing to exercise proper caution and common sense on social media
Possible Defenses After a NY Drug Charge
If you have been charged with a drug crime in the state of New York, it is essential that you have the representation of a strong legal team that can explore all possible defenses on your behalf. Some of the many drug charge defenses that Attorney Spector can assess may include whether the law enforcement agent that arrested you had probable cause when conducting the search, whether the drugs were not actually yours, failure to read your Miranda Rights, and whether the traffic stop was lawful if you were driving at the time of the stop that resulted in your arrest. Of course, everyone’s situation is different so it is important to speak with a skilled criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Contact a NY Drug Crimes Attorney
Attorney Carl Spector handles all types of drug charges, including felony possession and drug distribution charges. Our firm offers free confidential consultations where we will review the details of your case and provide you with sound legal advice. Attorney Spector handles all cases personally and will explore the best ways to handle your narcotic or controlled substance offense, and bring back satisfying results. Contact The Law Office of Carl Spector today to discuss your case.