As you know, it is wrong to steal. However, we all make mistakes, and if you are someone who is currently facing shoplifting charges in New York State, you have a lot to consider. These charges can cause you to obtain a criminal record upon conviction, which is why you must retain the services of an experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney who can help fight those charges on your behalf. Please continue reading and give our firm a call to learn more about shoplifting charges in New York and how our firm can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What happens if I am charged with shoplifting in New York?
Though we all know it is wrong to shoplift, many people who do shoplift consider it perhaps not as bad as breaking into a house or stealing from someone they know. That being said, the consequences you may face for a shoplifting charge in New York State are very real, and if you are found guilty of shoplifting, there is a very good chance you will find yourself behind bars, among other consequences. Of course, the consequences you face for shoplifting primarily depend on the dollar value of the item stolen. The consequences of shoplifting in New York State are as follows:
- Items worth less than $1,000: This is a petit larceny charge, which is a Class A misdemeanor, which comes with up to $1,000 in fines and up to 1 year in jail.
- Between $1,000 and $3,000: This is considered grand larceny in the fourth degree, which is a Class E felony, for which you may face up to $5,000 in fines (or double your monetary gain from the theft) and up to 4 years of jail time.
- Between $3,000 and $50,000: This is a charge of grand larceny in the third degree, for which you may face 7 years of incarceration.
- Between $50,000 and $1 million: This is considered grand larceny in the second degree, which is a Class C felony, for which you may face up to 15 years of jail time.
- More than $1 million: This is grand larceny in the first degree, a Class B felony, which comes with up to 25 years in prison.
If you are facing shoplifting charges in New York, you must pick up the phone and contact our experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney today.
Contact our experienced Rockland County firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.