What Are the Consequences of a Criminal Record in New York?

New York takes criminal convictions very seriously, which is why having a criminal record can have severe negative effects on you and your future. If you have been charged, you will need an experienced New York attorney to help you protect yourself and your rights.

What will happen if I obtain a criminal record in New York?

If you have committed a crime in New York, the consequences of those actions can last a lifetime. Below are just a few of the ways that a criminal record can impact your future.

  • If you received a DUI conviction, it may also prohibit you from applying for a commercial license, further limiting your job options.
  • If you are an immigrant in the United States, some criminal convictions can result in deportation from the country.
  • A criminal record can affect your job opportunities. When you apply for jobs, you will often be asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime.
  • Certain criminal convictions may prevent you from being able to rent certain properties.
  • Certain criminal convictions may prohibit you from securing certain loans.
  • If you are a convicted sex offender, this will likely become part of the public record.
  • In some instances, criminal convictions can influence child custody agreements. For instance, if you are convicted of an act of domestic violence or substance abuse, your former spouse may claim that you are unfit to be a parent, because that these actions violate the essence of your custody agreement, which is to protect your child’s best interests.

Can I seal my record in New York?

In some instances, you can have your criminal record sealed. A sealed record is eliminated from the public record and cannot be seen by others, even though it nevertheless exists. While this is valid, sealed records can be reached or re-opened through a court order. The state of New York allows the following crimes to be sealed:

  • Non-criminal violations, for example, trespassing
  • Certain crimes committed as a juvenile
  • Any charge where there was no conviction
  • Possession of less than ⅞ of an ounce of marijuana, three years after their conviction
  • Certain misdemeanors or felonies, as long as the offender either entered court-mandated alcohol or drug treatment program, have no additional pending charges, and have completed any sentence or request mandated after they finished treatment.

If you would like to learn more about how you can seal your criminal record, do not wait to reach out to The Law Office of Carl Specto today.

Contact our experienced Rockland County firm

Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.