Underage DWIs can have severe consequences, which is why it is critical that you have a skilled and dedicated criminal defense attorney on your side. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to get started with our New York legal team.
What will happen if I am charged with underage DWI?
If you were caught driving under the influence as a minor, you will face severe consequences in New York. In most cases, you will undergo harsher penalties if you are underage than those who are of age and caught with a DWI. If you have a blood alcohol content of .02% or higher while operating a vehicle underage, you will likely face the following penalties:
- 6 months license suspension
- $125 civil penalty
- $100 fee for suspension termination
- Ignition interlock device installation and associated installment fees
- Enrollment in the New York Drinking Driver Program and associated fees
Minors who do not submit a chemical test will likely have to face the following penalties:
- $250 annual assessment fine for 3 years
- $100 fee to reinstate your license
- Revoked license for at least one year
- $300 civil penalty
What are defenses against underage DWI charges?
If you have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side, they will be able to work on disproving your underage DWI charges to avoid negatively impacting your future. Your New York criminal defense attorney will be able to evaluate the circumstances of your arrest and determine if law enforcement made any mistakes during your arrest or if there were any other factors that may make evidence against you objectionable.
The most frequent defenses used against DWI charges by skilled criminal defense attorneys include, and are not limited to the following:
- Unlawful stopping by law enforcement
- Improper administering of a Field Sobriety Test
- You have a health issue that prevents you from being able to properly take a breath test
- The officer failed to demonstrate the test
- The officer failed to explain all the instructions
- The officer failed to inform you that you were allowed to remove high heels during the test
Do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced criminal defense attorneys to discuss the specifics of your case and your options.
Contact our experienced Rockland County firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.