Marijuana, despite talks of legalizing the drug, remains illegal for recreational use in New York State. If you are someone who has been charged with marijuana possession or the sale of marijuana, why run the risk of having your reputation and permanent record tarnished with a drug conviction? All you have to do is read on and reach out to our experienced New York criminal defense attorney to learn more about the consequences of marijuana-related charges and how our firm can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the consequences for marijuana possession in New York?
Though marijuana has been largely decriminalized in New York State, there are still penalties for illegally possessing of the drug. For example, if you are caught with 28 grams or less, you will face a $50 fine. If you are caught in the possession of up to 2 ounces, you will face a $200 fine. The criminal penalties for marijuana possession are as follows:
- Up to 8 ounces; Misdemeanor, up to 1 year in jail, and a $1,000 fine.
- Up to 1 pound: Felony, up to 4 years in jail, and a $5,000 fine.
- Up to 10 pounds: Felony, up to 7 years of incarceration, and a $5,000 fine.
- More than 10 pounds: Felony, up to 15 years of incarceration, and a $15,000 fine.
That being said, if you are facing marijuana possession charges, you must reach out to an experienced New York criminal defense attorney as soon as you possibly can.
What happens if I am caught selling marijuana in New York?
For the sale of marijuana in New York State, you will face the following penalties:
- 25 grams of less: Misdemeanor, 1 year of incarceration, and a $1,000 fine.
- Up to 4 ounces: Felony, up to 4 years of incarceration, and a %4,000 fine.
- Up to 1 pound: Felony, up to 7 years of incarceration, and a $5,000 fine.
- More than 1 pound: Felony, up to 15 years of incarceration, and a $15,000 fine.
- To a minor: Felony, up to 7 years of incarceration, and a $5,000 fine.
Do not wait another day–our firm is ready to help you escape the clutches of a burdensome drug conviction.
Contact our experienced New York firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.