Rockland County Juvenile Crimes Attorney

Juvenile Crimes Attorney in Rockland County

New York is one of only two states that treat individuals over the age of 17 as an adult. When a juvenile aged 16 or younger is arrested for committing a crime, they must have an experienced criminal defense attorney who can effectively represent their interests. The Law Office of Carl Spector understands that as a parent of a juvenile who has been arrested, this may be a challenging time for your family. Our firm is here to protect your child’s future from being burdened by the long term complications of a criminal record. For strong legal representation when you need it most, contact The Law Office of Carl Spector today.

Juvenile Cases in New York

In New York State, juvenile cases are handled differently than adult cases are. When a juvenile is detained, a prosecutor will file a petition against the child that includes the details surrounding the accusations. Then, a fact-finding hearing occurs within the family court. There is no jury present at this hearing, and the outcome is decided by a judge. If there is not enough evidence to support the case, the judge will dismiss the case. If the judge does find evidence supporting the allegations, there may be a further investigation into the juvenile’s behavior at home and at school. Mental health services may also order an evaluation. The court will have to determine whether the juvenile should be detained or released into the custody of the parents until a final decision is made.

Can Juveniles Be Tried As Adults?

In New York, certain juveniles can be charged as an adult if they commit a serious crime or a violent act. Even juveniles as young as 13 years old can be waived up to adult court depending on the offense. Whether a child will be charged as an adult is determined by the prosecutor’s office and the juvenile judge. The offenses that can result in being charged as an adult can include the following:

  • Murder
  • Assault
  • Serious drug offenses
  • Rape
  • Armed robbery

You should note, however, that New York allows a reverse waiver, which offers the opportunity for the child to be sent back down to Family Court. An experienced attorney can fight to have your child’s case remain out of adult court.

Required Juvenile Representation

In New York, any juvenile facing an offense must be represented by an attorney. Generally, the child’s parents or guardians are required to pay for the attorney. However, if they cannot afford it, they may request that the court offers an attorney free of charge. The standard for this is quite high so it is very rarely offered.

Contact a Rockland County Juvenile Crimes Attorney

If your child has been charged with a criminal offense in the state of New York, you must retain the services of an experienced attorney. The Law Office of Carl Spector has proudly served clients throughout Rockland County for over 30 years. Our firm can fight to protect your child’s future from the burdens of a criminal record. Contact The Law Office of Carl Spector today to learn how we can assist you.

Read Our Blog Posts