While jail time and high fines are often sufficient punishments for most crimes, the consequences often do not end there. If you obtain a criminal record, you will most likely face serious repercussions for many years to come. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney to learn more about the long-term consequences of having a criminal record. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How can a criminal record affect my life?
Unfortunately, a criminal record can impact nearly every facet of your life, especially if you were convicted of a crime that was particularly heinous in the eyes of the court. Some of the ways in which a criminal record can impact your life are as follows:
- When you apply for jobs, you will often be asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime. Answering “yes” will most likely decrease your chances of securing employment.
- If you recently received a DUI conviction, it may also prohibit you from applying for a commercial license.
- If you are an immigrant here in the United States, certain criminal convictions can warrant your deportation from the country.
- Certain criminal convictions may prevent you from renting certain properties.
- Certain criminal convictions may percent you from securing certain loans when you need them most.
- If you are a convicted sex offender, you will most likely be labeled as such, and this will become part of the public record.
- In certain cases, criminal convictions can affect child custody agreements. For example, if you are convicted of an act of domestic violence or substance abuse, your former spouse may argue that you are unfit to be a parent, on the grounds that these actions violate the core of your custody agreement, which is to serve your child’s best interests.
These are just some of the long-term effects that a criminal record can impact your life, which is why you should hire a New York criminal defense attorney who can fight these charges from the start.
Can I ever get my criminal record cleared?
With an attorney at your side, in New York, certain lower-level offenses may be expunged from your record. Speak with our firm to learn more about expungement and whether you may qualify.
Contact our experienced Rockland County firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.