Though we all know that driving under the influence is both dangerous and illegal, it does not stop everyone from doing so. Many people think that DWIs solely deal with driving while under the influence of alcohol. The truth is, you can also receive a similar offense for driving under the influence of drugs, known as a DWAI-Drug. If you were recently charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs, you must read on and reach out to our experienced New York criminal defense attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you through the legal process going forward:
What are the consequences of a first-offense DWAI-Drug?
If you were recently charged with a DWAI-Drug, you can expect very serious penalties, even if it is only your first offense. The consequences for a first-offense DWAI-Drug in New York State are as follows:
- Up to 1 year of incarceration
- You may lose your license for up to 6 months
- You may have to pay fines, ranging between $500-$1,000, as well as additional state surcharges
What are the penalties for a second DWAI-Drug in New York State?
If this is your second DWAI-Drug, New York courts will now treat you as a repeat offender. That is why you must retain the services of experienced legal counsel as soon as you possibly can. For a second DWAI-Drug in New York State, you may face the following penalties:
- You may spend up to 4 years in jail
- You can lose your license for at least 1 year
- You may have to pay fines of up to $5,000, as well as additional state surcharges
Will I lose my license forever if I get a third DWAI-Drug in New York State?
Though you may not lose it forever, you risk losing your license for several years, as well as spending several years in prison. The consequences for a third or subsequent DWAI-Drug in New York are as follows:
- You may spend 7 years in jail
- You will lose your license for at least one year, though most likely for far longer than that
- You may have to pay hefty fines of up to $10,000, as well as additional state surcharges
Contact our experienced New York firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.