If you are caught driving while intoxicated as a minor, you may face severe consequences in the state of New York. New York is a zero-tolerance state, meaning if you have a blood alcohol content of 0.02% or higher behind the wheel, you will be charged with a DWI. If you are facing underage DWI charges, it is important that you reach out to an experienced New York criminal defense attorney who will fight for your rights in court. Our firm understands the negative impact that a DWI charge will have on the rest of your life. We are prepared to take on your case today. Give our firm a call to schedule your initial consultation.
Consequences of Underage DWIs in New York
You may face harsher penalties when charged with an underage DWI than individuals who are of age. If you have a blood alcohol content of .02% or higher while operating a vehicle underage, you may face the following consequences:
- Suspended license for 6 months
- $125 civil penalty
- $100 fee for suspension termination
- Ignition interlock device installation and associated installment fees
- Enrollment in the New York Drinking Driver Program and associated fees
Minor who refuse to submit to a chemical test will face the following increased penalties:
- $250 annual assessment fine for 3 years
- $100 fee to reinstate your license
- Revoked license for at least one year
- $300 civil penalty
Subsequent DWI charges will result in more severe penalties.
Defenses Against Underage DWI Charges
With an understanding criminals defense attorney in your corner, they will work to disprove your underage DWI charges to avoid uprooting your future. Your attorney will assess the circumstances of your arrest and discover if law enforcement made any mistakes during your arrest or if there were any other factors that may make evidence against you inadmissible.
The most common defenses used against DWI charges by experienced criminal defense attorneys including the following:
- Unlawful stopping by law enforcement
- Improper administering of a Field Sobriety Test
- You have a health issue that prevents you from being able to properly take a breath test
- The officer failed to demonstrate the test
- The officer failed to explain all the instructions
- The officer failed to inform you that you were allowed to remove high heels during the test
Contact our experienced Rockland County firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.