If you have recently been arrested for the possession or sale of marijuana, it is critical that you do not wait to hire an experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney who can work to fight your charges. As you know, low-level possession charges have been decriminalized, there are still various penalties you may face for possession of larger quantities of the drug, as well as for selling the drug. Read on and reach out to our knowledgeable firm to learn more about these charges and how we can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What happens if I am charged with marijuana possession in NY?
If you are facing marijuana possession charges, you may face a wide array of penalties, however, if you are caught with 28 grams or less, you will only face a simple $50 fine, and if you’re charged with the possession of two ounces, you will face a $200 fine. That being said, possession of more than two ounces of marijuana could result in criminal penalties, and they are as follows:
- Up to 8 ounces: A misdemeanor charge, up to 1 year in jail, potential $1,000 fine
- Up to 1 pound: A felony charge, up to 4 years of incarceration, a potential $5,000 fine
- Up to 10 pounds: A felony charge, up to 7 years of incarceration, a potential $5,000 fine
- More than 10 pounds: A felony charge, up to 15 years of incarceration, a potential $15,000 fine
What are the penalties for selling marijuana in New York?
If you are caught selling marijuana in New York State, there is a very good chance that you may face jail time, high fines, and more. Some of the consequences of selling marijuana in New York State are as follows:
- 25 grams or less: A misdemeanor charge, up to 1 year in jail, a potential $1,000 fine
- 25 grams-4 ounces: A felony charge, up to 4 years of jail time, a potential $4,000 fine
- 4 ounces-1 pound: A felony charge, up to 7 years of incarceration, a potential $5,000 fine
- More than 1 pound: A felony charge, up to 15 years in prison, a potential $15,000 fine
- To a minor: A felony charge, up to 7 years of incarceration, a potential $5,000 fine
If you are facing any marijuana-related charges, you can depend on our New York criminal defense attorney to fight them. Give us a call today.
Contact our experienced Rockland County firm
Those facing criminal charges in New York need a strong Rockland County defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system. Fortunately, our firm is ready to put over 30 years of experience to work for you. Call today or contact The Law Office of Carl Spector online to schedule a free confidential consultation. We are ready to help you go on living life positively, happily, and free from the burdens of a criminal conviction–all you have to do is ask.